Stourport is a volunteer run group who fought the decision to close the Civic
Hall in Stourport by the local district Council in February 2011. They
were offered a chance to prove that the venue was worth saving, and if so the
venue would be transferred into community ownership.
They developed a programme of events and activities throughout the year to make the Civic Hall a focal point for local people and a thriving Wyre Forest venue for the arts.
In September 2013 it was announced that they had been successful in securing the future of the venue.
The Civic Group (as they are informally known) have taken a much underused venue and transformed it into a beating heart of the community. From holding around 30 events each year The Civic Hall now hosts of 220 events each year and welcomes over 12,500 people through its doors to a variety of shows and events.
From Family shows such as Stickman and Rapunzel, professional Touring Ballet productions and its monthly new material comedy nights, to community events, dance schools, public meetings, live music and the popular Monday Night Group Pantomime, The Civic has gone from strength to strength since its formation five years ago.
The Civic was invited to speak at the Theatres Trust (the UK advisory body for the theatre industry) annual conference in April 2014.
The Civic Theatre Hall is a unique space.
It aims to be the most important community venue in the area and an inspirational model for community participation in cultural, artistic and leisure activities .
1. We operate a Community Theatre Hall for the whole community to use and enjoy.
2. We encourage participation in a varied programme of cultural, artistic and leisure activities.
3. We seek as wide an audience for our events as possible.
4. Our diverse programme is our cornerstone but we are also a place of creation, development and learning, as well as performance.
5. We should never forget that the community is our reason for existence.
Would you like to support the Civic?
This could be as a volunteer, financial help, or just agreeing to take a brochure or flyer/poster
for more details contact us at email@example.com